Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The Art of Discipline

We are faced with choices every day, several times throughout every day. And our choices can have lasting effects on our lives. When you are faced with choices, do you consider those lasting effects or do you choose based on what seems best in the moment?


My word for the year 2013 is discipline. And I absolutely loved the quote/definition above for the word. I am so easily tempted to give into what I want in the moment to temporarily satisfy. It certainly takes great discipline and self-control to make the decision that will lead me down the path of what I want most.

What I want in the moment is often a sweet treat or a second helping, to skip the gym, watch TV, scroll social media, or postpone household duties.

What I want most is to be healthy and confident in the skin God put me in & to ultimately see myself as He sees me, reach my goal of running 5 miles straight by the end of the year, read more books and spend more time in the presence of God, enjoy laughter and love with my husband, connect deeply and meaningfully with friends and family (both near and far!), to serve others wholeheartedly and grow in my role as wife in our home.

Those are the choices I am faced with daily. Unfortunately, I do not always choose what I want most. But that's what I will be striving for! How much more rewarding will it be to accomplish what I want most, instead of what tempts me in the now (which I often regret later)?

What tempts you in the now? Are you willing to give up what temporarily satisfies for what you want most? Rely on the power of the Holy Spirit to put self-control into practice. And extend yourself grace when you fail... God does. And He loves you regardless of your performance. He simply longs to fulfill your needs and deepest longings, all for His glory.

"And the Lord will guide you continually and satisfy your desire." - Isaiah 58:11

No comments:

Post a Comment