Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Making Plans

In our Bible Fellowship Class this past Sunday at Idlewild, I felt challenged to make plans for this year. In years past, I have written down resolutions, goals, and hopes but never really seen follow through or victory. This year I'm going about it differently.

While we sat in class, I jotted down in my journal that I wanted to choose a word, theme, or mission statement for myself for the year; a verse for me for the year; and a verse to pray over Tyler this year. I recognize those aren't necessarily making plans, but before I make plans and goals, I need a solid foundation to build on.

  • My word for the year: Discipline. [training that corrects, molds, or perfects the mental faculties or moral character; control gained by enforcing obedience]
  • My verse for the year: "Be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness." - Ephesians 4:23-24
  • My verse to pray over Tyler this year: "Be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in knowledge of God." - Colossians 1:9-10
And from there, I will build with more specifics. Since I will be focusing on discipline, I plan on spending more time working out and making healthier food choices. I also plan on reading through the Bible this year (something I have tried before and never completed). I would also love to spend more time reading books. As I meditate on Ephesians 4:23-24 I hope to also be encouraged in spending time in the Word, in prayer, and in authentic community as I ask God to renew my mind! And as I pray Colossians 1:9-10 over my husband, I know my heart will grow even more fond of him than it already is, and I trust that I will see God move in his life!

What are your plans, goals, and challenges for the year ahead? Take some time to think through it, ask God to give you direction, and write them down so you're able to revisit them throughout the year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment