Friday, January 18, 2013

Work in Progress

Lately, I have been challenged to look at different areas and situations in my life through the lens of holiness with the hopes of detecting sin and wrongdoing. That is no easy task and for me and has, at times, been very gut wrenching! But how grateful I am that those around me care about me and my growth enough to point out my blindspots. Somehow I tend to forget my active need for forgiveness of sin. Just because I know Jesus personally and have welcomed him into my life as Savior and Lord does not make me less needy for his grace, mercy, compassion, forgiveness, and salvation! Moment by moment, I need him! I may be more familiar with his ways, more so than early on in my walk with him, but my ability to live that out has only increased because my dependence on him has increased. And when I fail to walk in the Spirit, seek his will, and choose his ways, I fall back into the ever famous human ways... sin. It can happen to any one of us -- college student, spouse, pastor, friend, parent, teacher. "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" - Romans 3:23 And if we are not actively choosing to walk in the Spirit, we quickly fall into trouble. 

It has been humbling to remember that I am a work in progress. When others may expect perfection from me, I can rest on the fact that God knows I cannot and will not be perfect until the day of Christ's return. "And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ." - Philippians 1:6 How comforting and freeing! Until then, I will likely continue to fail in meeting the expectations of others. But, I will aim to seek the face of God, grow in him, and choose to walk in the Spirit while also experiencing the freedom of not being held to unrealistic standards by God!

"But we ought always to give thanks to God for you, brothers beloved by the Lord, because God chose you as the first fruits to be saved, through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth."
 - 2 Thessalonians 2:13

No comments:

Post a Comment