Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Seeking to Love Others Well

This month, I decided to intentionally and creatively seek to love others well. My initial plan was for this to last a week. And then I felt like I couldn't fit in all that I wanted to into one week! So, most of my October was full of thoughtfully showing others in my life that I love them! Here's some of what I came up with....

I made prayer cards for many of the girls I meet with on campus. How better to love someone than to pray for them?

On a Thursday night, I was meeting 2 volleyball girls at the Rutgers Women's Soccer game. And it was a cold one! I brought hot chocolate for us to enjoy while we watched the game. 

On Friday afternoons, I lead a team Bible study with the softball team. And boy do I love those girls. And I spend my early Friday afternoons in the student center where Dunkin Donuts tempts me regularly. So, I thought I'd share the indulgence with them at Bible study by bringing a dozen donuts to share with the group!

Tyler has a love for all things bread. Especially banana bread. But he also loves cinnamon. I found a recipe on Pinterest for banana cinnamon swirl bread. It was to die for. He loved it! And he was very surprised to come home to a freshly baked loaf of deliciousness after a long day on campus.

This month, I met regularly with ten girls on campus. And if you haven't picked up on it via my social media posts... fall is my favorite season. So I made "fall in bag" goodies for each girl and gave it to them at our one-on-one meetings, with a hand written note that included one of my favorite verses. These were a hit! The girls loved them and I loved giving them! Each bag included a CD of Christian music, hot apple cider mix, hot cocoa mix, a fall magnet, a carmel apple lollipop, and fall stickers. 

My friend and soon to be coworker Caity came over one Wednesday afternoon for some training and hang out time. Instead of just feeding her my leftover fruit dip, I whipped up a loaf of pumpkin bread with cranberries and pecans. It was so yummy! We enjoyed time together over cider and pumpkin bread =)

One of the lovely ladies I am discipling on campus is a senior soccer player. Her senior day was Sunday October 27. Tyler and I went to an earlier church service in order to get to the game early and see her honored on the field! I hope she felt loved.

The other night I had to run a quick errand to the store for a dinner ingredient. Tyler wasn't interested in coming...which allowed for me to pick up some of his favorite candy as an early Halloween treat!

Some of the other intentional things I did were:
  • Dishes. In our house, dishes are not the responsibility of the chef. But on a few occasions this month, I both cooked and cleaned up to give Tyler a break =)
  • I also texted a friend on the anniversary of her dad's passing to let her know I was praying for her and that God loves her.
As I look back over the month, I am ehh... I guess satisfied. But I did notice that the most common way I showed others love was in my primary love language-- gifts, followed by acts of service. Just thought that was interesting. I also would have loved to do a better job of loving my friends afar well. Maybe that'll be November's challenge! Loving others well from miles away....


How are you seeking to love others well?


No comments:

Post a Comment