Thursday, October 17, 2013

Wednesday Night TV

In the Stowell Home, every Wednesday night, Duck Dynasty is turned on at 10pm. Tyler laughs hysterically throughout the entire episode. It warms my heart to hear him laugh, deep belly laughs, for about 30 minutes straight.

Last Wednesday however, was the premiere of Preachers of L.A. at 10pm on Oxygen. From the previews I had seen, I was skeptical of the show and rather turned off. But similar to Keeping Up with the Kardashians, I figured it'd be one of those "it's so crazy you can't look away" type shows.

So, after Duck Dynasty ended, we flipped to Oxygen. For the first twenty minutes I watched, I sat there and thought, "this is exactly what I was expecting." Twitter was blowing up with tweets like, "the Holy Spirit is nowhere to be found in this show!" "Hypocrisy at it's finest..." "A preacher with a baby mama...welp..."

But towards the end, I saw glimpses of hope! Maybe these guys aren't seeking money, fame, and glory. Maybe they are seeking to bring God alone glory and to grow as men. 

And then we watched again this week. And I have to say, the show does pleasantly surprise me. However, I am deeply saddened by the [portrayed] "status" of these men -- especially after spending the summer in the heart of L.A. and seeing the depravation and needs there amongst the people. 

I'm not sure if this show will hurt or help Christianity. I'm not sure if the show will please God or the Enemy more. I'm not sure of this show is reality or "reality." And I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it. But I do know that after viewing the show, seeing this really got me worked up.

As the show continues to air, I can only hope and pray that America is not deceived. God (and Christianity) bears no promise of riches, glory, or even worldly success. He does promise love, life, and forgiveness. 

I am curious what your thoughts are on the show. Have you seen it? What's your reaction?


"If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world." - John 15:19



No comments:

Post a Comment