Friday, August 23, 2013

A True Disciple

According to Google, the definition of disciple is a personal follower of Jesus during his life, esp. one of the twelve Apostles. Here's where this can get muddy.

I meet with girls on campus, and call it "discipleship." And girls often refer to me as their discipler (although I've had girls introduce me as their life coach, which gave me a nice chuckle). Not to say the usage of those terms is incorrect, but I think to keep a clear understanding of my role as a "discipler" is vital.

As I step into the 2013-2014 school year serving on campus, I want to guard myself against the idea that I am to teach girls how to follow me. I am not worthy of following. I, in myself, have nothing to offer (as much as it kills my pride and flesh to admit that). As stated in 2 Corinthians 3:5, "Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God," all I have is from Christ. If I muddy the water by not being clear about that, and make discipleship appointments into a "follow Allison 101" time, I am doing a huge disservice to the girls I minister to and even to myself! Although, not to say I should not aim to live in a way worth imitating -- after all, Paul urges with the Corinthians (1 Corinthians 11:1) to, "Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ." If at all I am hoping girls will model anything after my life, I need to be clear (with myself and them) that it's only because I am seeking to follow Christ -- therefore, He is ultimately the only Leader to follow!

It is far more important, Biblical, and lasting to teach girls how to be a disciple of Jesus Christ, how to follow Him as their Lord. 

These are the people, too, that I seek to learn from and follow... the ones who are following Christ and pointing others to Him alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment