Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Quiet Time

When I first became a Christian, I was introduced to this thing, often referred to as, a "quiet time" -- a time to be still with the Lord. Jesus modeled this "quiet time" while he was here on earth. What happens during this quiet time, or devotional time? Well, there are many options! Keeping a journal of prayers, reading the Bible, praying, worshipping, fasting, reading a Biblically sound book, memorizing Scripture, and/or studying Scripture extensively are some of the possibilities. Whatever connects you to God.

For me, I enjoy journaling. It helps keep me on track and gives me the opportunity to go back and look at how God has answered prayers and grown me. I also enjoy reading, studying, and memorizing Scripture -- either straight from the Word or with the use of devotionals to help guide me. In the background, I often like to play worship music as I spend time with the Lord. Worship music is probably that one thing for me that connects me to God, like nothing else. And I once had a friend suggest differentiating worship music that was Christ centered versus "me" centered. When I'm seeking to align my heart with God's and worship Him, I try to look for the "Cross-centered" music. I will sometimes find myself caught up in song, tears flowing down my cheeks, hands lifted high or face on the floor, in complete awe of the God of the Universe!



Have you had this "quiet time" lately? If not, I challenge you to begin today! What's keeping you from it? What connects you with God? Is it music, reading, praying? God desires to connect with you, daily and deeply. Sit down with Him and enjoy the intimacy!


"Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed." - Mark 1:35

No comments:

Post a Comment