Sunday, September 30, 2012

To Have or Not to Have...

I used to be very against the popular website, Pinterest. Why? Because from how others had described it to me, it was simply a place to look at what one does not have, and "pin" things to express a desire to have those things. It sounded like covet central to me.

Well, I am a big proponent of Pinterest now. It is a great resource! Through Pinterest, I have gained knowledge I did not have prior that will help me be a better wife, missionary, cook, baker, housekeeper, budgeter, creative giver, and someday mom! However, I did notice in the beginning that I was having to remind myself that just because I liked it on Pinterest, or re-pinned an item, didn't mean it was in my budget to have it (DIY or not!).

I'm also in a life stage where many of my friends are happily in their careers, purchasing new cars, new homes, shopping for all the latest trends and traveling regularly with their husbands. However, where my husband and I are currently is very different. We will likely rent for several years to come, we are a one (used car) family, our furniture is mostly "hand-me-downs" from family and friends, and our spending looks quite different than that of the average young adult. This is a challenge for me because like many women, I struggle with comparison. Not only do I compare how I look, but I compare what I have... or rather what I don't have to what others do have.

But today, God gave me this Truth that I immediately knew I needed to hide in my heart, meditate on, and hold on tight to....

"And he said to them, "Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions." - Luke 12:15


What others have does not make them any "happier" or "satisfied." I have more than what I need! And I am commanded to not covet what others have. I look forward to the day that I can go shopping a little more regularly, buy new furniture, and when Tyler and I will have our own vehicles. But for now, I will choose (because, after all, it is a choice) to be content with what God has provided for us, meditate on Jesus' words in Luke 12:15, and praise Him for giving us all that we DO have! 


At the end of the day, no item will fill the deepest desires of my heart like the love of Christ does. Like I said, I have all that I need!



"Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me." 

- Philippians 4:11-13


No comments:

Post a Comment