Monday, September 17, 2012

Dependence

Recently, I have found myself walking back into the black and white after spending some time in the gray. For years, I have had "For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ." - Galatians 1:10 memorized, because I naturally lean towards seeking mans approval as opposed to God's approval. And there have been many times that God has convicted me of going to people first, instead of seeking Him first, in prayer. My dependence on people was larger than my dependence on God. I took what man said as true and allowed others to guide me, rather than [fully allow] my Lord to do so. Why would I allow another human to trump the God of the universe?!


Dependence can be defined as relying on or needing someone or something; reliance; confidence; trust.  For me, my dependence on others looked like too heavily relying on them and placing too much confidence in them. I wanted to not necessarily "please" them but I thought their ways were right, instead of trusting God's ways, which are far surpassing any person's! "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higherthan your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." - Isaiah 55:9

I know it really doesn't sound all bad, right? I mean, after all, we do need people. While, yes, we do in fact need others -- God created us for relationship with Him and others -- my relationship with others was my number one. I looked to others, especially those in authority, for approval and direction [thinking they had to know what was right for me]. Again, that can be good, but when done before seeking God's approval and asking Him to lead, it is no longer good, but harmful.

People, all people, are broken and sinful. This is why we cannot fully put our trust and hope in man. Even our Spiritual leaders will fail us! There is no person who can replace God. We must depend on God before depending on others. I am a firm supporter of Godly counsel, that is not what I am arguing here. What I am against, is putting "all of your eggs in the basket" of another person -- regardless of their position (pastor, mentor, peer, etc.). We absolutely need Godly leadership, we all need to be under authority. But ultimately, we need to be under the leadership, authority, and direction of God! We will find ourselves in major trouble if we allow a person to play the role of God in our lives. I am grateful that God wants and deserves to be my number one.


"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths." -- Proverbs 3:5-6



No comments:

Post a Comment