Saturday, February 16, 2013

Strengths, Weaknesses, & Creativity

My husband, Tyler, and I are spending the next two years or so in New Jersey on campus at Rutgers University. During those two years, we are undergoing training as "New Staff" with Athletes in Action. This initial campus training encompasses many areas. One is our personal development. I recently went through some personal and ministry goals with my trainer, Missy. She helped guide me in brainstorming and narrowing some things down. 

One suggestion she had for my personal development plan (an annual plan Athletes in Action staff make to help us cement our goals and persevere!) was to not only work on strengthening my weak areas but also some of my strengths. Her philosophy is that it's exhausting and discouraging to focus on all the things we're bad at without incorporating our strengths! Brilliant, right? I know. I consider myself extraordinarily blessed to have Missy as my trainer!
So in conjunction with working on several of my weaknesses, I will also be working on becoming more creative (although I would consider creativity a strength of mine). I am very much looking forward to continuing to develop my creativity, especially as it pertains to life within the home. Pinterest will come in handy, as I plan to implement one recipe, craft, or homemaking tip from Pinterest each week. [Follow me on Pinterest to follow this process more closely.] This will stretch me to try new things, which I tend to veer away from and instead remain paralyzed in fear. And I cannot wait!

How are you strengthening both your strengths and weaknesses? Have you ever given much thought to it? I challenge you to join me on this adventure and not only pray and work towards growing in your weaknesses but to enjoy and flourish in the strengths God has given you!


"But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." - 2 Corinthians 12:9

No comments:

Post a Comment