Monday, March 19, 2012

Surrender All

I woke up this morning with "surrender" heavy on my heart. God was poking at my heart to surrender, to truly trust him with some things that I am constantly battling to keep in my possession. I picture myself standing before the throne of God... "...present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship." - Romans 12:1. He asks me to lay down before him and empty my hands. So, what is it that I am holding on to? Well, a variety of things. Some days I want to hold on to money or possessions, other days I want to hold on to relationships. But why?

Just as Joshua says to the Reubenites, the Gadites, and the Manasseh tribe, we are also commanded... "Only be very careful to observe the commandment and the law of Moses that the servant of the LORD commanded you, to love the LORD your God, and to walk in all his ways and to keep his commandments and to cling to him and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul." - Joshua 22:5When I read this, several things jump out. But keeping with the topic of surrender here, serve him with all your heart and with all your soul hits the bullseye. The keyword that sticks out is all. How can we serve God with all of our heart and soul if part of our heart and soul is commited to serving something else? We are only fooling ourselves if we think this is possible.

Holding on to money, possessions, status, or relationships is keeping the heart divided. "No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other." - Matthew 6:24. Our hearts are drawn to things that pull us away from clinging to him every day! What are you holding on to that is hard to let go? Do you trust God with it?

We are left with a choice. Will we choose to embrace our brokenness and surrender or will we continue to fight with God to keep our hands full of things other than Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment