Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Bridge the Gap

Over the last couple weeks, I have come to a place of developing a love for snail mail. I am basically hooked on mailing things to friends and family... anything from birthday cards to "just thinking about you" notes! There is just something extra special about getting something other than coupons or bills in the mail. This means that stamps are now something I [try to] keep on hand at all times. But besides birthday cards and just for fun notes, God has led me to send out a few other things in the mail to bridge the gap....

This last week I sent out two hand written letters, asking for forgiveness from people whom I have lost contact with -- one, was my dad and the other, a former roommate. I recently read in Matthew 5:24, "First be reconciled to your brother..." and in Matthew 6:14 "For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you." As I searched my heart, I realized that there were things I needed to seek their forgiveness in. This was not easy for me. Why? Because I am a sinner. A prideful, selfish, sinner. And for a long time I have focused on the wrong they have done to me and looked very little on the wrong I have done to them. In MY perfect world, I would be perfect and would be the forgiver, not the one in need of forgiveness. However, the world you and I live in is fallen, imperfect, and broken. As these letters reach both my dad and former roommate, I am praying that God will move in their hearts to forgive me and respond so that our relationships can be restored! But, if I never hear back from them, I know that I can stand before the Lord, confident that I did as He asked me to.

Is there anyone in your life that you need to seek forgiveness from or forgive? Do you need to take the initiative to bridge the gap that has grown between you and someone who has wronged you?

"Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you." -- Matthew 5:44

No comments:

Post a Comment