Monday, May 30, 2016

Actions Speak

Actions speak louder than words, a phrase I'm sure most of us are familiar with. Those five words have deep meaning if we take the time to unpack them. But where did that thought originate from? Who came up with something so profound? I don't know the answer to that. 

However, I recently flipped the page on our daily Scripture calendar and 1 John 3:18 was before me. I began wondering if the generic actions speak louder than words phrase is a summary of this great Truth.


Maybe it is just me....  But words come up empty if there is nothing more than what is spoken, to give it value. Actions demonstrate what is beneath the surface. It is often times easy to say the right thing, but it is harder to fake loving in deed and truth. Lately, I have felt this tension and had to be mindful that words are just words until there is deed and truth as the foundation. I remind myself that I need to remain guarded when empty words are spoken, in order to protect my heart. This is a great challenge for me! As I seek to choose to believe the best in others, I also am called to (and know, from experience, it's best to) guard my heart above all else. When I am too quick to fall for words alone, I am often times left disappointed, hurt, or bitter. So I not only need to filter this as a recipient, but also as a lover of others. Am I loving others with simple words or am I truly loving others in deed and truth?

What about you.... are you loving others with {empty} words or are your actions supportive of what you say? I would encourage you to give some thought to this. And I'd venture to guess, it will make a  difference in your relationships. 

No comments:

Post a Comment