Wednesday, January 4, 2012

All Things New

The calendar flips to January and many get excited to start something new, "put the past behind" them, begin new year's resolutions...

For most, that's easier said than done.

While the new year brings a fresh calendar, many new items from Christmas gifts, and maybe changes for some, it more so brings an opportunity for a change of mindset. And as I thought about change and newness, I was reminded that I am new in Christ.

Tyler and I recently moved back to Pinellas County (where we both grew up). Being in the familiar territory brings back many memories-- some God-honoring and some from the days I was living in sin. Each day since we've been back here, I have had to make a choice: to dwell on who I was or believe who I am. I have chosen to recall the Truth hidden in my heart and rest in Christ....

And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. -Ezekiel 36:26

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. -2 Corinthians 5:17

As Christians, we are called to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness. -Ephesians 4:24. 

To me this means that each day we are faced with a choice. We are to believe what God says about us- that we are new! We are to live by His Spirit that now dwells within us, walk in righteous ways that honor Him, and keep our eyes fixed on the holiness of Christ. No matter how much we look at the past, it does not change. But through the power of God, our future can be bright... it can be eternal. To be new, forgiven, and have a future in heaven? I don't care what holiday or year it is.... that is reason enough to celebrate! To being NEW!

No comments:

Post a Comment