Sunday, November 13, 2011

Friendship

My husband, Tyler, often goes out for "guys nights" or has Saturdays full of flag football. But me, I struggle to get time with friends (mostly because so many of my friends are now not local to me) and so friendship has been on my heart recently. We were all created for relationship, with God and each other. But friendships have not always come easy for me. Growing up, my friends were those who enjoyed the same activities as me, laughed when I laughed, slipped me notes in class, or happened to be involved in my seasonal sport or activity. Some friends have stuck with me through the highs and the lows, while others bailed as soon as things got tough. I remember in high school, I was battling depression. A friend of mine, who I had been very close to since elementary school, told me that I cried too much and she no longer wanted to be my friend. Whew! Talk about tough times in teenage years! So, as I have seen in my life, some friends come and some go.

It was not until I met my friend Nicole that I realized the true meaning of friendship. Two verses from the Bible stick out to me when I think of my friendship with Nicole. "A friend loves at all times." - Proverbs 17:17 and "As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another." -Proverbs 27:17. Nicole and I met in high school- we had  Marine Biology the same period and we were both cheerleaders. Once we became friends, there was no way out. And this was new to me. Shortly after we became friends, I placed my faith in Christ and became a Christian! So the whole, friendship with Jesus involved thing was really new for me. She showed me love and faithfulness unlike any friend I had ever had... because she had a personal relationship with God. There was a season (right after high school and into college) that I distanced myself from Nicole. I ran from her friendship.... because she had a close relationship with God.... and I wanted to also distance myself from Him in order to attempt satisfying my desires my way rather than His way. You are probably thinking, "what a jerk you were!" and "poor Nicole!" And rightly so! She stuck by me through prayer, love, and encouragement even when I had turned my back on her and our God. She welcomed me back into a close friendship with no conditions, just love.... 4 years ago this Thanksgiving.


Nicole has taught me so much about friendship. And in the last 4 years, we have been able to grow in the Lord together, encourage one another, support each other, and stand up as MOH's at each other's weddings! I am so thankful that God brought a friend like Nicole into my life to teach me what it means to be a friend. It is not about laughing at the same things, enjoying the same activities, or passing notes (or these days texts) in class. But it is about love, encouragement, and most of all, Jesus. I cherish my friendship with the few close friends that I have, because I know, they are founded on the Lord and they will last!


"But exhort one another every day, as long as it is called "today," that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin." - Hebrews 3:13

No comments:

Post a Comment